3.26.2011

The Panhandle I


The Panhandle.
April 10, 2010


I've got this love affair with the Texas Panhandle. It's painful and violent. Sort of like that Eminem song? I like the way it lies. It's just nothing for miles and the pockets of civilization within it are so ignorant that it makes me scream. But I'm still completely enchanted with it.

My grandma lives in Pampa, Texas which is sort of the capital of the Panhandle. My uncle's there too and it's where my dad grew up. I spent a lot of holidays there as a kid. My family loves it there. They are "upstanding members" of the Pampa community. I dunno, maybe a little piece of it is wedged into my DNA, the same way I love New Jersey so much I can't stand it.

This is taken on US-70, about 40 miles south of Pampa. Nothingness for miles. Not even power lines or cows.

(Taken with a Nikon D-80, 18-135mm AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens. Exposure 1/320, Aperture f/9.0. Color balance in the sky is photoshopped. I'm obsessed with skies looking as blue as possible, even if they weren't that blue on that day.)

No comments: