3.22.2011

The Puppy Has a Home, but Needs a Name.


The Puppy Has a Home, but Needs a Name.
August 5, 2009


Crap, dudes. How cute was my puppy? I've seen a lot of pups in my day and they're all stupid cute (week old sharpei's are nothing but rolls of fur and love) but this puppy seriously takes it. I've never seen a cuter puppy. I fully acknowledge that I'm biased, but I'm not the only one. Gertie made people melt when they saw her. The toughest people in the world into piles of goo and baby-talk. The dog has special powers.

The pup came to us via twitter. Chelsey's friend and tattoo artist Ashley owns a shop in the Plaza District of OKC and the owner of a gallery across the street from her shop had found a litter of puppies in their alley. Someone just dropped off Gertie and her 6 siblings at the baby-age of 8 weeks. The lady who found them got their first round of shots donated and by the time we got to the shop, all the puppies except Gertie, the runt, and one of her brothers had been adopted. It was just pure love at first sight. She was a little sleeping angel.

Who later went on to become a destructamatron of a barking machine. But that's not the point.

Chelsey and I had the hardest time naming her. We went through everything we could. We knew we wanted her to have an Oklahoma-related name, as she was a native. We finally came around to Oklahoma the Musical and the character, Gertie Cummings. It fit her perfectly. This picture is from the first night we had her and one of the ones I sort of had forgotten about. Oh, those brown eyes.

(Taken with a Nikon D-80, 18-135mm AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens. Exposure 1/60, Aperture f/4. No Photoshop. Built in flash used. Pretty sure the camera was balancing on the bench when I took it.)

No comments: