4.02.2011

Arch.


Arch
November 25, 2007


And we’re off. I left for Quebec in mid-November. I spent a haggard week in Oklahoma then headed for Detroit, stopping for the night outside of St. Louis. I decided that night in my motel room that I would eat breakfast under the arch. I got up pretty early, I had 8 hours of driving on roads I’ve never been on, I found a Krispy Kreme, bought a doughnut and stumbled around downtown St. Louis until I found parking for the arch. It was so, so cold that day. Don’t think it got above 10 degrees for my breakfast. I think that picture does a great job of showing that.

That coat has an extensive history. I found it in my high school best friends’ closet and never returned it. The coat was her mothers and when I started wearing it to Raton High, all of my teachers remembered it from it’s original owner. There aren’t very many lavender leather pea coats around.

I love this picture, I love the depth. But I hate how sad I look in it. I was scared, I wasn’t sad. I put the camera on a bench, set the timer and ate some doughnut. I also didn’t want to actually sit down because it had rained the night before and the concrete was really wet. I also didn’t want to leave my camera sitting on a bench, even for 10 seconds. I was irrationally terrified that some giant, homeless man was going to steal it.

(Taken with Nikon S1. No photoshop.)

No comments: