4.18.2011

Behind the Scenes.


Behind the Scenes
October 18, 2005


If burlesque was good for anything, it was good for about 4 gigs worth of images that make me feel awesome about myself. Sometimes, it still makes me shake my head that once upon a time, being on stage with a small amount of clothing was something I was capable of doing. But most of the time, I'm really proud of myself and I hope that I'll be able to do it again one of these days.

I don't wear makeup. Makeup gives me severe anxiety. Up until probably my sophomore year of high school, so did my hair. So, maybe in another ten years, I'll be able to apply my own foundation without having a breakdown (that might be a metaphor...). One of the best things about burlesque is that it attracts lots of people who are really good at doing makeup! And they want to do yours! I remember a show when our makeup team all took mushrooms before the show and our makeup/hair all got progressively more interesting as the night went on. Beehives for everyone by the final number!

This was taken after the weirdest burlesque event to-date. It was at the Desert Sands Inn on San Mateo and Central (the motel used in No Country for Old Men). That neighborhood is the absolute best place to walk around almost-naked in Albuquerque. Camel cigarettes rented out the whole place for a private party. Ron Jeremy was the guest of honor and a Linkin Park side project called Bucket of Weenies played. As if that wasn't random enough, I ran into the ex-boyfriend who had dismissed me only weeks before and I locked my keys in my car. Kenneth had to rescue me from the ghetto at 2:00 in the morning. We'd only been living together for a few weeks, he was excited.

That hair is not mine, it's a super-long neon blue extension. I love how the image quality makes it look almost trashy, like it's taken from the backstage of a seedy strip club. It's almost a hangover in a photo. This is me trying to take a photo of my and taking one of my neck. That's cool. I like this one better.

(Taken with a Sony DSC-P32. Freaking believe it. Color balance is 'shopped.)

No comments: