4.13.2011

Woodward, Oklahoma.


Woodward, Oklahoma
March 14, 2011


After I left New York, I spent some time in Pennsylvania, some more time in Detroit and Chicago. I got back to New Mexico the second week in February, the bar burned two weeks later. I've got a lot of pictures from that day but I don't particularly like any of them. I think a lot of them are pretty (in a way) and interesting and, you know, "good" images, but they're not the sort of thing I really enjoy looking at all that often (it really is amazing how much that's still a pit in my life). The rest of that year, until I hit age 23, was sort of a blur. And the pictures from it, not awesome. I was just burnt out, unhappy and unable to get rid of that.

So, new page, awesome.

This is from the last time I took the D80 into the light. I always end up with these jobs that let me go to fun and exciting places, like Woodward, Oklahoma, better known as the home of the deadliest tornado in Oklahoma history. I spent an exciting night in a Holiday Inn Express there, ate some Dairy Queen and found THE theater in town. Every small town has one. Luckily when I was there, it was bradford pear tree-blooming season, which is means there are little white flowers everywhere. The fruit from them, terrible, the flowers, quite lovely.

This was one of those euphoric Spring days in Oklahoma, when the wind's actually calm and the humidity's bearable. It felt a bit like Spring in Raton, which makes sense, because I was only like, two hours away from Raton. But it was the sort of day where you leave the windows down on your car, even if you're not in the car because you feel like you'd be ruining the moment by closing them. You just want to make sure you get as much of that air as possible. Does that make sense? Probably not.

In Woodward, I needed to mail something to my mom. I went to a diner that Urbanspoon told me was good (I was kinda disapointed though...) and every person in the restaurant chimed in when I asked directions to the post office. Yeah, Raton wasn't far.

(Taken with a Nikon D-80, 18-135mm AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens. Exposure 1/300, Aperture f/7.1. This picture was an accident. I wanted to see what aperature I was shooting at. But it turned out to be my favorite from the day. It's also interesting to note that is from the first time I used the D80 since I started this project.)

No comments: