4.20.2011

Dylan Star Does Not Want to Come Inside.


Dylan Star Does Not Want to Come Inside
March 12, 2006


Happy 4-20. Let's talk about Dylan Star.

If you know anything about Dylan, it's that he doesn't do well indoors. He wants to be outside at all times. That's probably why him and Kenneth are such good friends. When I took this photo, Dylan was living with his aunt, who was a upper level management person for MCI and had a GIANT, BEAUTIFUL house right on the bay in Annapolis. She had even had a private dock. I remember sitting on one of her luxurious couches and Dylan yelling at me though a window, "Why are you in there? I don't wanna be in there. Come out here!" That's the essence of that guy.

This is one of my favorite portraits ever. Dylan was driving his giant truck into Washington DC, windows down, the stereo was so loud I couldn't hear and his matted hair was blowing in the wind. It's one of those times when you actually feel like you're accurately captured a moment. It's a rare thing for me, but I like that feeling. Maybe you do get a bit of someone's soul when you take their picture (DEEP. Run for the hills!).

(Taken with the Sony DSC-P32. Image is grayscaled. That camera's capacity for accurately capturing light was completely gone by that point.)

No comments: